Sunday, January 30, 2011

Introduction Post!

Hello! I am Keith Catalano. I am a Game Design Major and I find myself becoming more and more interested in 3D Modeling and Animation. I am also really interested in 3D Sculpting with tools like ZBrush. It is because of this interest that I am extremely excited to learn human anatomy. I am not the strongest artist when it comes to drawing, but never the less, I understand the importance of understanding anatomy. And while I may not employ what I learn on a 2D medium (as per the focus of the class) as often as a 3D one, I realize that it is still crucial to my development as an artist.

This past Thursday I received my first taste of gesture and contour drawing. It was a terrifying and eye opening experience. I found the time to go by too quickly and I knew right away I would need to change how I was going about each drawing. Time management was, without a doubt, my biggest challenge. Then to move on to half an hour contour drawing was brutal.  Not only was a long period of time, but we could only draw a single appendage. 

I finished the arm within seven minutes. Realizing it was far too generalized and done far too quickly; I flipped my paper over and began again. This time I slowly moved over the subject’s upper arm. Meticulously matching the topology of the skin, I began to notice just how uneven the arm is. Our time was up just as I began the fingers. This was probably a good thing as I had no idea how to go about drawing them.
Proportionally, my finished product was an absolute nightmare. However, I was able to (relatively) render the topology with what I thought was a fair degree of accuracy. At the end of the semester my standards will likely change, and I will probably view this drawing as complete mess. But for my first attempt at contour drawing, I was pleased with myself.

The image below is by one of my favorite 3D artists and showcases the importance of human anatomy across mediums. 

Done by Marek Denko

Done by Marek Denko


No comments:

Post a Comment