Sunday, February 6, 2011

Difficulties and and Amazement

Life drawing this past week proved to be more difficult than I thought. I found the drawing of the spine to be a little harder than I thought it would be. I also found the clay muscles to be extremely difficult to make. To be honest, I thought that was going to be my strength in the class but I think I may be mistaken. I can visualize how it should look from the pictures provided, but when it comes to actually molding the muscles I simply fumble around. I can only hope that this improves over time. I have a feeling that I will be revisiting the muscles that are due for Tuesday.

Aside from the manikin, I was a little disappointed that we couldn’t draw on Thursday. That said I found the lecture to be quite interesting. The technical terms were a little difficult to grasp but I could definitely see the logic in each. I also found myself gaining a better understanding of how muscles work. It is pretty cool to hear/see a breakdown of what muscle does what. Then to go on and construct those muscles makes for a great learning experience.

This upcoming week I hope to draw a little more. My gestures need to improve greatly. Last semester I borrowed a book from my 2D Digital Imaging professor, Andy Ducett, on animation. The book contained many small thumbnail gesture drawings that were breath taking. The amount of movement and the story contained in each was astounding. All of the drawings done with as a few lines as possible. Even the inanimate objects were full of life. I hope that this course takes me in that direction.
The image I chose to attach to this post is a series of gesture drawings done for animation. You can see what I talked about above. The amount of motion and character given to them is phenomenal.


1 comment:

  1. I can't agree more. I found drawing the spine as well as the back to be pretty difficult. I thought it would be simple, but apparently I was wrong. I agree as well with the mannequin. Creating the muscles and trying really hard to mimic the picture in the book is extremely challenging. I thought it would be easy or some what simple as well, but no again. I hope over time the class will become simpler as we gain more knowledge on the different techniques and other things.

    -Christy

    ReplyDelete