Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hour Long Drawing!

This last week we focused primarily on drawing. It was pretty nice to get back to drawing for a couple of hours.  Also, we added the thighs to our gesture drawings. Finally, out gestures are beginning to actually look like a person. Not only that, but it also gives so much life to the gesture. With the legs I can create much more dynamic actions. I never would have thought that adding the legs would provide (what I consider to be) such a drastic improvement.
                We also worked on a longer drawing, which again, was a nice change of pace. We worked on it for an hour. And I have to say, I had so much trouble the first half. My perspective was off, my proportions were awful, and my foreshortening didn’t make any sense. We took a five minute break and I thought my drawing to be complete garbage. Once we came back, however, I was able to fix most of the issues. I think I even made it pretty good. Well, I definitely learned a lot by doing it.
                I am looking forward to the next long drawing we do. I am hoping we will have one that spans a few days even.  I feel like when I leave and come back I am able to look upon my drawing with new eyes (so to speak). Then I can find errors or inconsistencies. I noticed with our hour long drawing that for at least 20 minutes the model was floating half a foot off the ground.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205565
Drawings done by Vertical

                I chose the image I did because I feel it really demonstrates what I was talking about earlier. It showcases how much character comes out of the arms and legs. This is especially true with the gesture in the top left corner. Her leg is jutting out to the right and you can feel her stretch her arm up into that position. It is a really, really dynamic gesture.

2 comments:

  1. I agree! Adding on the thighs makes your drawings look more complete. Instead of having just a back and butt. I am kind of nervous once we get into the feet and the hands, because I am terrible at drawing those parts of the bodies. Looking at your image of your drawings above, they look good! Though I don't remember having that model, I remember we had a female model with short hair. Maybe it was the day that I wasn't there. Anyways, I agree adding on the thighs makes the drawing look more complete and easier to fix and see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I wish those were my drawings. They were done by Vertical on conceptart.org. But I agree, they do look great!

    ReplyDelete