Sunday, March 27, 2011

Shoulders and Collar bone

The collarbone is a seemingly insignificant detail on the human body. Well, it actually does quite a bit. When I added it to my drawings last week it helped me visualize the top of the rib cage and aided in the creation of the shoulder plane. That plane was really, really important to my drawing. The model was on a slight angle, with her shoulder pointed right at me. I didn’t establish the plane right away; in fact, it wasn’t until Amy pointed it out. I wish that I had remembered to take a picture of it; I may upload it and edit this post. Anyway, we also took a look at the shoulder blades. I had a huge problem getting them to look right on my gesture drawings.  On Tuesday we are going to be doing another longer pose, I hope to be able to get a good view of them. I really need the work. I am not sure what it was, but I just wasn’t able to get them to look like they were shoulder blades (let alone they even belonged there).

We also began to work on the shoulders on our manikin. I am a little discouraged with my manikin at the moment. Last week it fell off the base and onto the floor, leaving many muscles smooched and deformed. So, I have to go back in and make them a little bit better. Aside from that, it is going well. The shoulders are pretty easy to do, a lot of large muscles.

For now, I chose to include an image I found that shows the divide and definition of the different planes via the collar bone. As I mentioned above, I think I will take a picture of my longer drawing and upload it tomorrow. But, you can see what I mean with the division of the shoulders to the chest and how it helps you identify were the top of the rib cage sits. 

http://www.portrait-artist.org/misc/neck-shoulders.html

1 comment:

  1. The shoulder blades are a pain to do when you can't see the contour of the blades. Even if you see the contour I have the same problem as you do on why the shoulder blades we draw don't look like shoulder blades. Also about your manikin, did he just randomly got unscrewed from his base and fell off? Right now, my manikin is half naked. His upper part of his body is wobbly because the screw is loose. So All I have is the thighs, calves, foot and part of the shoulders :P. I hope your manikin is alright though and that you were able to put it back together. I am looking forward on seeing your shoulder drawings soon :)

    ReplyDelete