Sunday, April 3, 2011

Shoulders and Arms

This last week was kind of tough for me. I am not entirely sure why, but I just wasn’t drawing very well. We continued to work on the shoulders and collar bone then moved on to the arms. On Thursday we ended up doing an hour and half drawing. So it was a pretty drawing intensive week (which is great). I can’t believe how helpful the collar bone is when trying to define the shoulders. And, as I mentioned in the previous post, I was able to draw a back view. The left shoulder blade wasn’t very visible, but the right one was really obvious. I was having some trouble really showing how much farther it stuck out than the rest of the back. But as I mentioned in the first sentence, during the longer pose on Thursday, I just could not get anything right! And while it is usually true that the first half of a drawing is usually pretty bad, it didn’t seem to get any better. Hopefully next week proves to be a bit better.

Amy also was able to point out some of the muscles we recently completed on out manikins. It was pretty cool to see how visible the shoulder muscles are. Sadly, I had a lot wrong with the last assignment. A lot of my muscles were either too big or too small. Thankfully, our latest assignment doesn’t seem to be that involved.




Since I haven’t posted any of my own work in a while, I decided to take some pictures of my more recent drawings. Both were hour long poses and all in all I am happy with how they turned out. On the first I think the foot is a little too small and on the second I made her hand a little too pointy (and a bit too generalized).  

1 comment:

  1. I felt the exact same way. Last week I was just not into drawing. I couldn't focus either and was really squirmy. I agree with the collar bone. It really does complete the body and help define where the start of the arms are located. Your second image, where you're talking about her hand. It doesn't look bad at all. We haven't worked on the had yet and I know a lot of people struggle with hand. I draw the hand the exact same way :P

    ReplyDelete