Sunday, May 1, 2011

Eyes, Ears, and Mouth


This week we learned about eyes, ears, and the mouth. Out of all of them, I have found the eyes to be the most challenging. There is so much information you have to pack into such a small place. I think what was the hardest part was giving the eye lids some depth. It was also hard to make them wrap around the eye and go back in space. The ears aren't too bad. They were a little complicated, but not difficult. I think they will be much harder if I try to draw them without any reference. And finally, we drew the mouth. The mouth was probably the easiest part of the face to draw. The only thing that tripped me up was getting the lips to pop out and feel "solid". Otherwise I think it was quite successful. 

I am not looking forward to starting my self portrait. Despite not having too many big problems with the ears or the mouth, I did have a really hard time drawing the face as a whole. I am not sure what it is, but when I try to put all of the pieces together it just doesn’t go very well. I am hoping to put enough time into the self portrait to help get over this problem. We will see I suppose. 

I found a drawing of an eye that I thought did everything I was having trouble with. The artist did a nice job of giving depth to the eyelids. Moreover, the folds in the skin have a nice physicality to them. The brow also has a very nice presence. It definitely feels like it comes out further and sort of encompasses the eye. All in all, it is a fantastic drawing and it employs many of the ideas that Amy has taught us.

http://www.dueysdrawings.com/eye_tutorial.html

2 comments:

  1. Gosh you're lucky that you found the ears to be "okay" to draw. I found them to be frustrating. I am not looking forward to the self portrait as well, now thinking about it. I drew my portrait of the model from the side. I don't know about the front. At least our final is a self portrait from shoulders and up. I got a bit scared when she said self portrait. I thought she meant our whole body! Agh!

    ReplyDelete