Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Skull

This week in life drawing was a good one. We focused on the skull, and after an hour lecture, we actually got to drawing. I was pretty happy with how my drawings turned out. It was cool to break the skull down. I love all of the planes and it really makes sense why this was saved until the end. In order to really render it well, you need to employ many (if not all) of the techniques we have learned. This includes planes, contours, and varying line weight. It has really helped me with creating (relatively) realistic dimensionality. We were given the assignment to do three long (around 2 hours) drawings of the skull. We have to draw a ¾ view from the front, ¾ view from the back, and a profile view. I am really looking forward to doing my last one.

The manikin is done! Well, almost. All we have left are a few muscles on the neck and then clean up. But, we don’t have any more big assignments. This will be a huge help, because my other final projects are going to be big. All in all, I am pleased with how my manikin turned out. It will certainly benefit from some cleaning and smoothing, but for the most part, I think it came out nicely.

Skull 1


Skull 2

The first view I decided to draw was the ¾ view from the front. Because we had not covered the face at all, it is not quite as polished as I would like it to be. I really need to go back in and add some depth via planar information. I am, however, very happy with the second skull. Amy was able to help me really push and exaggerate the planes of the skull. I think that really helped it become more tangible.

1 comment:

  1. I am excited about the manikins as well! It feels cool to see this skeleton look all muscular. It kind of felt like playing with a barbie doll in away. Dressing the manikin up and sprucing him up. Okay anyways, I really like your drawings of the skeletal head. I believe not the only one but the best one of your drawings that I've seen. They look really good. For some reason I like how you kept the grids on the first skeletal head drawing. :D

    ReplyDelete