Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Arm!

This past week was another short one. With advisement day on Tuesday, we were left with a single class for the week. It was a productive class though. We began with some gestures, which went alright. I was able to draw the entire body within 30 seconds (which is very, very new to me). However, I need to begin adding definition and volume to the limbs. Currently, I show an arm and a leg as a brief (and often ill-conceived) line going in an approximated direction. I hope to improve my gestures over the next month. Which reminds me, we only have a month left of the semester. This blows my mind! It seems to have flown by. Thankfully, I feel like I have accomplished much over the semester. I am relieved to feel this way, too often I feel like I haven’t improved nearly as much as I should have.

As the semester begins to come to a finish, so does my manikin. With only a few assignments left, the flaws in my muscles seem to have compounded. I have so much to fix and so much to do. I think my clay gun (thing) will help in the creation of the tendons that run from the forearm to the hand.

Ah yes, the hand. Oh God, the hand. I mentioned this in my last post, but I tend to skim over the hand (by skim I mean I don’t draw anything really). I am really, really dreading the day we cover the hands. From what I gather, most people find the hands to be challenging. While this is reassuring that I am not along, it also reinforces my apprehension.  They can be beautifully drawn though. I am particularly interested in the range of motion we can do with our forearm. So, I decided to show a few studies done by an artist named Colleen Barry. She shows a wide range of motion and each drawing is rendered immaculately.

http://grandcentralacademy.blogspot.com/2010/04/uninstructed-anatomy-drawing-group.html
http://www.colleenbarryart.com/colleenbarryart.com/WELCOME.html

1 comment:

  1. Oh the hands. I can feel your pain on dreading drawing the hands. I find them very difficult and a lot of other people do to. I agree though, the hands could be drawn to beautifully. Which makes me jealous. I hope this week goes by well. I love the image you chose for this blog. The drawing of the arms are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete